We understand your concern of providing pure water to your family members. To help you out with our proven expertise, we reviewed the best water softeners on different aspects including Performance, Installation, Features, Size, Warranty, & Customer Support. We tested a huge range of products from popular brands to provide you best available options while selecting Best Water Softener.
Best Water Softener – The Winners!
Experts’ Choice: Fleck 5600SXT Water Softener
You should go with Fleck 5600SXT which is a beast for home. The Meter based regeneration ensures that the working cost remains low. It is easy to install. It is totally worth the money.
Family’s Choice: Iron Pro 2 Water Softener & Filter
If your water contains iron along with other contaminants, you should select Iron Pro 2 for home. It is a combination of water softener and filter which ensures a healthy life of your family.
However, if the size of the water softener matters to you, choose our 2nd best pick Watts RV PRO-1000 Water Softener. It is portable with the mechanism to check the hardness again after the softening process ends & Regeneration process ensures minimal wastage of water. It is cost friendly as well.
Best Water Softener Reviews 2017 : Picks & Comparison
You can find the below quick comparison very helpful as it showcases all products, theirs features, & specification in a single table only. Here, You can compare price, ratings, & other relevant features of water softeners easily.
- Fleck 5600SXT
- Plumber's Choice
- Medium households
- Meter Based Regeneration, Digital Control Head, Durable tank
- Warranty: 10 year on both tanks & 5 year on head including electronics
- Iron Pro WaterSoftener
- Family's Favorite
- Medium households
All in one, Combination of Water softener & iron filter, DIY instructions, no reddish-brown stains, best for hair growth
- APEC Top Tier 5-Stage RO Water Filter
- Budget Pick
- For Drinking Water only
Assembled in USA, Safe Drinking Water, remove up to 99% of all contaminants
- Fleck 9100SXT Water Softener
- Choice for Large Homes/Commercial
- Small households (low-medium hard water)
- Twin tank, Continuous soft water, Perfect match 6-10 Family member.
- 5 yr warranty on the valve / 10 yrs on the tanks
- Aquasana Whole House Water Filter
- Unlimited Needs
- Whole house water filter system
- 1,000,000 Gallons, Removes 97% of chlorine, salt-free water softener, DIY install kit
- 10 year warranty
We thought to help you out by thoroughly understanding each product and their description. So here we are with the major Water Softener reviews, which will help you in choosing the best water softener system for your family.
#1. Recommendation: Fleck 5600SXT Water Softener Review
Under the brand of Fleck, the Fleck 5600SXT was released and it tops the list of best water softener reviews. This one one is best suited for a medium size family. This device has got a digital display which comes along with other distinctive feature, which makes the assembling part easy for its users.
This Fleck 5600SXT Water Softener is a salt based system, which means that it require the regeneration process to take place. It has some automated mechanisms inbuilt which make the regeneration process less complicated one. For the purpose of water softening, this machine is considered one of the best available in the market now. There are also chances that you may not even complaint about the product, because of its effective way of softening liquid.
Full Review: Know everything about Fleck Water Softener System
It has an awesome capacity of grain handling, which points up to 48000 in numbers. Now you may feel that the regeneration part needs some work by us, which is false. The manufacturers have tried to design the machine so that it needs less maintenance charge.
This machine uses a digital meter kind of mechanism, you need to simply enter the number on the screen and there will be only the work of replacing the salt mass frequently. This is the proven best water softener system and you can actually see that on Amazon Reviews where Fleck 5600SXT Water Softener is best rated products.
This is suitable for the family of 3 to 6 members only. Do choose wisely for your family.When you purchase this machine, you will receive two things. First the computer based water softener review and a big brine solution tank, therefore you will need a drain and a normal 120 volts power supply to get started with this. Before installation make sure you have chosen the right place. Make sure that you have arranged almost 3.1 feet * 19 inches for the installation.
- Regeneration: In this water softener system, meter mechanism is used for the purpose of regeneration, which is done based on the amount of solution that is been used by the machine and also makes sure that the softener works properly that reducing the working cost.
- Warranty period: The machine comes with a 5 year warranty for the water softener system and 10 year warranty for the tank. If maintained well properly, it will run for a long period of time.
- Display Screen: The control panel in this machine looks stylish, also maintains the simple feature also.
- Installation: If you follow the instructions properly, then the installation process is quite easy for any person.
- Worth the money: Cost effective, if considering the superb performance.
- Size: be rest assured that you have the right amount of space available. Some manpower is definitely needed.
- Salt level maintenance: Since it is a salt based water softener system, you need to regularly replace the salt masses used within it.
If the automatic regeneration facility is your priority, choose Fleck Water Softener only. Find the following list we have made after a detailed research and various tests performed by us.
#2. Watts RV PRO-1000 Portable Water Softener
Do you need the best water softener which works in a more portable way? That means something that can be taken along with you when you on a trip or camping place. If you are searching for such water softener system, this one is the right choice for you.
RV means for recreational vehicles, so by the name itself you might get the idea about its use. This best water softener is exclusively made for helping you with the availability of soft solution even while you are during your travelling time.
As Watts RV Pro-1000 (10,000 Grains) water softener has got this portability feature, it would not be suitable to use it for home purpose. Therefore, automatic salt recharge facility is not there.
Customized flow valve feature lets the regeneration of salts, with or without the need of connecting it to the main system. There is a cradle shaped design to carry the water softener system. This helps in maintaining the needed stability and gives good support while handling the best water softener on the move.
It has got an incredible capacity of taking 4.5 gallons of the solution as input. This machine weighs about 25 pounds and is having the dimensions as 22 x 9.5 in feet. It has got a warranty of ten years.
Watts RV PRO-1000 is the best suite for an avid traveller. If you live in Motorhome or travel & camp in RV and facing the problem of intensive hard water, Watts RV PRO-1000 water softener is the best option for you.
- Size: This machine is designed keeping the portability factor in mind.
- Softening: In this you have the mechanism to check the hardness of the liquid. So after the softening process ends, you can check the hardness again, it may vary as it depends on the level of hardness of water.
- Stable nature: As mentioned earlier, the cradle shape structure provides the ease to carry this machine from one place to another.
- The Regeneration: There is less wastage of water in this water softener system because of the presence of some resistance in the flow area.
- Cost friendly: There is not much money involved in the working of the machine, because of the material used in the design and also the fact that standard salt is used in the water softener system.
- No rotation of hose fitting: While we are using long length hose, this inability to rotate can cause an issue.
- Regeneration process: In this, there is no automatic regeneration facility, therefore, the user itself has to perform this process.
#3. Waterboss 220 Water Softener (22000 Grains)
The best water softeners which are small in size but performs equally good, Waterboss 220 is an example of that. Waterboss 220 is one of the best water softener system, which is having a suitable size out of all the systems in the market right now.
The system is salt based water softener system, therefore, it offers you the best solution for softening of hard liquid though it is having a miniature shape. The Design of Waterboss 220 water softener is compact. It is so small in look, that it would not look like water softener system.
We all are aware of the loud sound that a system makes during the run of the machine. But this one appreciates user’s free time and does its work silently. The time taken for the process of regeneration, sometimes it can take only 19 minutes. It doesn’t have an external filter instead it has an internal filter, thus saving the maintenance cost. It has got easy to handle display screen and can be simply set up by the user.
The features of Waterboss 220 makes it the best water softener. The compact look with low regeneration time makes it perfect for a family of 4 leaving in City area and using municipally-supplied water. We can say that this product ranks first in the list of Best Waterboss Water Softeners.
- Fix size: There are instances where you need to use water for minimal jobs. At that time, this water softener can come in proper use. Depending on the use, it can easily fit to accordingly.
- Regeneration: Since it is small in size, the regeneration time is also low. Which in turn, saves a huge amount of solution.
- Self-Cleaning Mechanism: Here there is a self-cleaning mechanism done by the internal filter thereby reducing one task for the user.
- Size: Is this machine too small for you? For a family of 4 or more people and those who need a little more amount of water than the general user, this machine is not suitable for that bunch of buyers.
- Warranty: The product gives a three-year warranty for the machine. Usually, five years is the standard warranty period.
- Some complaints registered: Customers have been registering complaints regarding the fault issues related to this machine, while some said it works fine with them.
#4. Eddy Electronic Water Descaler – Water Softener Alternative
If you have been doing a lot of research on water softeners, then you definitely would have come across this famous softener’s name Eddy Electronic Water Descaler. This can be used instead of your usual water softeners. This system performs the same function of the best water softener but in a different way.
This water softener system uses the magnetic field to fight the hard water. In this the elements causing the buildups are not completely removed. Instead, they are suspended in it, making soft water available for almost 2 days.
Eddy Electronic Water Descaler uses Magnets for softening. Magnets are used in the water flowing pipes, and thus, the metals causing the buildup are not removed instead they are suspended using this water softener system. The dimension of this machine in inches is 6.6 x 1.5 x 3.4 and the weight is approx two pounds. Eddy Electronic Water Descaler is a 120 volts system which works on an approx of 5 watts.
All the money will be paid if the user is not satisfied with the water softener within a time period 1 year. Warranty of a lifetime in case of any repair and anything related to replacement.
If you are not facing any hard water problem and don’t want the headache of Salt and Filters then this is the best solution for your needs. This uses 5 watts of power only which is amazing.
- Size: Compared to the other water softening systems, this one is relatively small and less heavy. Also to add, the steps for setup is easy of this water softener system.
- Investment: This machine uses only five watts of power. It does not involve any cost for salt, maintenance or filter.
- Environment-friendly: You won’t find much wastage out of this machine.
- Some of the elemental beneficial: You know that the some of the hard minerals are not removed instead they are suspended, which allows us to use the water for drinking too, you will get calcium content from it.
- Temporary solution: It uses the magnetic system, which does not purify the water completely. After almost 2 days,you will get back the hard minerals into the water.
- Not suitable for iron or lead pipes: Because of the use of the magnetic field for softening, this mechanism will not work for pipes made of lead or iron.
#5. Nuvo H2O DPHB Water Softener System
This is a salt-free water softener, which has been used more nowadays as it does not require any amount of salt. Therefore, your liquid is also not infected.
The best water softener reviews for Nuvo H2O DPHB have been positive and negative altogether. That means, this machine has been found suitable for some, while some people were disappointed with it.
Therefore, check out the specs of this device, if it satisfies your needs then go for it! It is a salt-free water softener system and uses the mechanism of nanotechnology. It has an approx. of 60100 gallons of volume.
The very suitable size of 8.5” in width and 29.5” in length, which helps in arranging the machine in small areas region too. It has got a lifetime warranty period and there is a cashback facility within a period of 2 months of use. Designed for homes which are 2200 sq.feet and more in the area. Nuvo H2O DPHB water softener is best for the users who don’t have very hard water at their premises.
This is recommended to homeowners only as they don’t have very hard water to begin with. This is a salt-free system which means reduced amount of sodium in your drinking water. No need to store Salt alike other Water Softeners.
- No salt content: There is no need to add salt in your water softener system, unlike the salt based water softener system in which the solution becomes salty in taste.
- Simple to handle: This best water softener system is quite easy to use because there is no need of salt or any requirement of the magnet, power and also less wastage is found here.
- Super warranty feature and much more: The feature of cashback within the time period of 2 months along with the lifetime warranty makes this device more pleasing one.
- No rotation of hose fitting: While we are using long length hose, this inability to rotate can cause an issue.
- Regeneration process: In this, there is no automatic regeneration facility, therefore, the user itself has to perform this process.
#6. The Aquios Full House Water Softener & Filter
Many people have been using a water softener for softening water but may be it is not preferred by most of us. Also, chances that the slippery kind of water is not suiting you well, and if you use less amount of salt and the water is just not apt for you.
There has been a rise in the number of salt-free water softeners users at this time, and this Aquios Full House Water Softener is one of the best among them. This can be used for softening as well as filter the hard minerals from water. As it uses salt-free water softener system, a new method is implemented that helps in removing the hard particles.
One extra layer of the carbon filter is used, which filters out more particles after the water has been softened. This feature is not found in most of the best water softener available. Suitable size, with the filtration process taking place inside the system itself and so only one tank is needed in the whole process.
This water softener system does not need the power to run it. If the hardness of water found in your house is average and you want salt free water softener which also works as filter and without electricity then this is the best water softener for you.
- Salt-free: There is no need of salt for running this system. That means you don’t have to buy anything in place of salt for running the machine.
- Easy working: This water softener review doesn’t require any kind of configurations to be made. Just connect, and get started.
- Considerable reduction in the build up: Salt-free best water softener focus on to change the form of the water, which results in a reduction in the build up if any present. Also solves the main issues also.
- Great in design: One of the slimmest, and best water softener system found yet can be installed in a small area also. It has a measurement of 26 x 9 x 7 in terms of inches.
- Cashback and great warranty scheme: It gives an awesome warranty period of twenty years. And a 2 months period, for returning back the machine with complete cashback.
- Filter cartridge: Here there is no issue of salt to worry about, yet you have this task of replacing the filter cartridge within some intervals.
- Softening: If the level of hardness of the water is very high, then this machine is not advisable to use. Prefer the salt-based, and best water softener only for such cases.
- Sediment issue: If the water in your area consists high amount of sediments, then this machine is not among the suited best water softener for them. Sediment filtration will cause the filter cartridge to be replaced within a short time period, which will result in wastage of a lot of money.
#7. On The Go OTG4-DBLSOFT-Portable RV Water Softener
Similar functionalities found in this previously discussed Watts RV Pro which had this portability quality in it. As the name says, on the go means, you can carry the best water softener with wherever you want the need to. One of the largest portable water softeners available.
The shape of the On The Go OTG4-DBLSOFT-Portable RV system is a bit different. But this design makes it more efficient as it delivers more 41% of softened water than any other portable best water softener system gives. The regeneration time taken by the best water softener system is almost 31 minutes and you just need two boxes of salt to get start with.
It has a good capacity of 16500 grains handling. Measurement dimensions go like 22” height x 9.5” diametrically. Salts that can be used for regeneration is Table salt or any other softener salt.
If you are the one who moves frequently from one place to another, and wants large capacity water softener with less regeneration time then this is the made for you only.
- Capacity: This has got the larger capacity to handle a large amount of workload.
- Convenience: The handle used for carrying is very convenient for a person lifting it.
- Ease of connection: Swivel which can be rotated in a complete way is used to connect with the internal hose.
- Salt filling part: the Large area is provided for salt fill purpose.
- Weight: The heavy weight of the machine needs to be considered while selecting the area.
- Size: The size parameter must be taken care of while placing of the machine.
- Complaints: Some leakage issues were registered near the fittings in the best water softener of this machine.
#8. Aquasana EQ-SS20 SimplySoft Water Softener
This machine uses salt-free water softener system. The technology used here is called as SLOW Phos which helps in providing no artificial conditioning of the liquid and results in less corrosion of the pipes as we don’t use salt for the process. This makes the Aquasana EQ-SS20 SimplySoft Water Softener system environment-friendly and is one of the best water softener available.
Here for softening of the water, we actually change the charge of the ion of the hard elements in water. Thus, the charge attraction is reduced and thus, lumps of the minerals are not created on the pipe surfaces.
The model number is EQ-SS20. The overall weight of this water softener system is 13.2 pounds. The dimensions of the machine in inches is 15 x 6 x 24. The temperature of the machine ranges from 41 to 91 degrees in Fahrenheit.
The flow rate in this machine is seven gallons per minute. Warranty period is of 1 year.
If you want to keep the environment clean and want all the features of best water softener then this is the best available choice. SLOW PHOS salt-free water softening technology is used in this system. You will also get quality output, less maintenance, and no regeneration process.
- Quality output: This machine is found to be the best in providing the best quality water. The taste of the water is also improved.
- Long lasting: This machine is very strong and is found to be a durable option which runs for a long period of time.
- Maintenance: This device can be cleaned by the user itself. The cleaning task is smooth for this water softener system.
- Regeneration: The machine is salt-free best water softener system so doesn’t require any regeneration process to take place.
- Efficiency: It is found to be not as efficient as any salt based water softener system.
- Setting up: Bit difficult installation method involved in this.
- Softening: The softness level found in resulting water is not felt much.
#9. Morton M30 System Saver Water Softener
This one is the most favored system released by the manufacturing company Morton. This was included in the most hit water softeners reviews last year. This machine is a beast out of all the available best water softener, with a huge 34K grain capacity for removing the hardness of the water. Morton M30 System Saver is bit heavy and big in size, still these points don’t much matter looking the flow rates of this water softener.
The dimensions of the machine is 5 x 5 x 5 inch. This machine weighs almost 95 lbs and has a look-ahead utility which lets the best water softener system to learn more on the pattern of the incoming water and the usage.
Morton M30 System Saver has this feature of regeneration on the basis of demand placed by the user. This process removes the hard materials from solution. A guide of instructions comes along with the machine, which is easily understandable and followed.
It is cost effective as it uses almost half of salt compared to other systems. If you have a big family then 30,000-grain capacity water softener will be appropriate. you can read indetailed Morton Water Softener Reviews of 2017 and get extra choices.
- Effectiveness: Effective water softener as it is one of the salt based water softener systems.
- Ease of operation: Operation is done very smoothly, not causing any kind of discomfort.
- Decent Price: The cost is very decent one, comparatively fair than Fleck system.
- Warranty period: Warranty is extended for another three years, that is there especially for the electrical components.
- Space Efficient: Built keeping in mind the space that it will occupy.
- Based on the extent it is used: Even if salt based water softener are said to be very effective, due to less usage or restricted use, these water softener may not work properly there.
- Electricity-related: Some people have complained about the improper time shown on their device. It is seen that, when any power out happens, the figures are changed to some wrong value.
- Salt-bridge: Most of the Morton water softeners are prone to the salt bridge issue.
#10. Scalewatcher Nano Electric Descaler – Alternative
This water electric descaler is considered to be the best that comes just after the traditional system. The Best water softener that runs in this kind of categories are not much credited by people. But we will definitely let you know about the specifications, and also the Pros-Cons of the machine.
Scalewatcher Nano Electric Descaler has a good ability to fight with the hard minerals present in the solution and give you a good result. The main use of power is made in this water softener system. The electric signals are used, and they are sent constantly through the solution to make some alterations in the ability of the hard elements to get attached on the lining surface of the pipes.
While this technology can also be used for removing of the build ups formed on the pipe surface. Thus keeping your pipelines clean and healthy to use.
The model number for this device is given as Nano itself. The overall weight of the machine is 3.9 ounces. The dimensions of this water softener system are given as 5 x 1.6 x 2.9 in inches.
The source needed for power is DC/AC switching power supply which is Underwriter’s Laboratories(UL) approved ones only. It should be used for indoor use only, works perfect for water supply of municipality. Batteries are not required for this machine.
Those who have hard water problem and still wants to be worry free about salt and filter can go for this amazing Nano Electric Descaler.
- Requirements: It does not require any kind of material like chemicals, regenerating salts etc for softening purpose.
- Softening: This machine softens the water very nicely and you would not have any slippery feel on your hands.
- Maintenance: No maintenance is there for this product.
- Cleaning method: It has been seen that this best water softener system cleans the lines of water. Something that a salt based water system fails to do.
- Technology: The system concept is still in the discussion because some of their practical concepts are still to be proven.
- Working: It has this problem of getting stopped in between and you have to switch off and start again for solving it.
Find What Size Softener Do you Need?
In all sense, it has to be admitted that salt-based water softener works much better than the salt-free water softener. So if you are looking for the best water softener system which lasts long and is a durable one, go for the salt-based ones.
There are many choices available in the salt-based best water softener, choosing the right one is a major task. Below we have considered four parameters on the basis on which you will be able to make a perfect choice!
- Calculate the hardness of the water
This parameter is measured in terms of gallons per minute. For hardness, it usually ranges from three to twenty. Three scores being the lowest in hardness scale. 20 hardness level, means the water is too hard. Using a hardness testing kit, measure the hardness of the water and choose the appropriate softener.
- Evaluate the daily or weekly usage of the water at your place
On an average, a normal person uses 80 to 100 gallons in one day. Now take this average value and multiply it by the number of people at your place. For weekly calculation, multiply it by 7 days in a week. According to the calculated value, make the choice of the best water softener.
- Calculate the quantity of grains that has to be removed in 1 week
Evaluate the approximate number of grains in water. Then simply, calculate the daily usage of the water and then multiply it by the number of hard minerals found.
- Choosing the right and best water softener system based on the capacity needed by you
You are provided with different quantity water softeners according to your need. For example, 16000-25000, 33000-41000 etc. So you have to make sure that the number of the grains to be removed in one week does not exceed the total system capacity here.
Best Water Softener of 2017
Among all the listed best water softener reviews, we would like to select the Fleck 5600SXT 48,000 Grain Water Softener as our best pick at this time. These best water softener reviews showed that it is found to installed in many homes, mainly because of two reasons; the surprising specs and the cost being within-the-budget type.
|1||Fleck 5600SXT||48,000||9.5/10||Meter Based Regeneration, Digital Control Head, Durable tank|
|2||Watts RV PRO-1000||10,000||9.2/10||Low Regeneration, Cost Friendly|
|3||On The Go OTG4-DBLSOFT-Portable RV||16,000||9/10||Avoid the buildup of scale, prevent formation of stains, improve the taste of water & remove the odor.|
|4||Waterboss 220||22,000||9/10||additional sediment and dirt filters|
|5||Aquasana EQ-SS20 SimplySoft||50,000||8.5/10||Salf-Free, Stand Alone Softener|
|6||Nuvo H2O DPHB System||60,000||8.5/10||salt-free|
|7||The Aquios Full House Water Filter & Softener||40,000||8.5/10||Salt-Free, All-In-One system that conditions, filters, eliminates scale|
|8||Morton Salt MSD34C System Saver||30,000||8.5/10||Small Size, Whole house water softener|
|9||Eddy Electronic Water Descaler||Electronic Descaler||8.5/10||Small Size, Environment-friendly, 12 Month Money Back Guarantee|
|10||Scalewatcher Nano Electric Descaler||Electronic Descaler||8.5/10||Compact, Environment-friendly,|
The consumers will compare all the features that are present in all the available softeners, and choose this one as it stands out from the crowd for its technical details itself. It has got this electric based power-head which acts as the deciding factor in terms of system efficiency.
The other reason as mentioned earlier is the cost of the best water softener system. The manufacturer of Fleck water softeners have always tried to build machines which are of good quality and a reasonable cost. The financial situation in the country has been that much good, so looking into that, it is easy to understand that people will always prefer this economical solution only.
If you are wishing to buy this model, check out the Amazon website, type in the model name and get the chance to read the impartial reviews of the customers who have used it personally.
You can also check other forums on the web regarding the various products manufactured by Fleck. Most of the details provided on such websites will be the first-hand information shared by the company officials itself.
It is important for you to know the quality of water you are using for the routine purpose at home. If you like to keep the diluent less polluted, with a significantly minimal amount of chemicals, the best way is to use the best water softener.
What is a Water Softener?
Water Softener is a machine that is used for the home purpose. In this water softener, transferring of ions take place so that we could clean the mixture by the complete removal of hard matters that is present in the diluent used in the home. These hard matters include mainly calcium and magnesium which comes from the underground.
The continuous use of such hard mixture causes many visible damages. Some of them are white formations found on the surface of the utensils, the lathering of soaps are not proper, some unusual coatings on the dishes, the clothes that are washed become dreary very fast.
Normally the best water softener machine has two tanks in the internal of it. One tank is the liquid tank, and the other one is the brine tank. One tank is present with beads of resin which has an opposite charge compared to that of the calcium and magnesium ions.
So when water flows inside the water softener, some exchange of ions occurs which converts the hard minerals in the fluid to the soft ones.
The soft materials can be potassium or sodium chloride which needed to be added for further regeneration.
What Is Hard Water?
Hard water is that kind of water which contains a huge amount of dissolved minerals especially magnesium and calcium. Almost 80% of the damages caused by the home materials is because of such hard fluid.
Now how the fluid becomes hard will be your obvious doubt. The rainwater is in the pure form.
When it falls on the ground and mixes with the sand and the rock particles which include chalk, lime and mainly the two materials mentioned in the previous section.
Now some people prefer drinking hard mixture compared to a soft mixture, as it has got more mineral content. But again the question arise why then we need a water softener.
These hard water adversely affects our home materials which include pipes, cooking vessels, cloth material. It leaves some patches on the surface with which it comes in contact.
The units used for knowing the level of hardness in water is PPM(Parts per million) and also GPG(Grains per gallon).
If these units range between 3.6 to 10.2 in GPG counts, we can say that solution is very hard. You must keep in mind the meaning of Hard Water and its adverse effects while choosing best water softener for you and your dear ones.
How To Test For Hard Water?
There are many ways in which you can check whether the solution is hard or not. While taking a shower, if you find that the soap mixture is not creating the right amount of foam. If you feel the water used in water softener being considerably less smooth on the skin, you will get the right evaluation that the mixture is hard. Another home method could be, to fill a plastic bottle half way around with the water.
Then add the soap solution into it, shake the bottle for some time. If you see that the mixture has mixed with soap very well, then the liquid is not hard.
Otherwise, if the solution is not foamy with mainly the soap particles floating on the surface, the liquid is indeed hard. You can adopt the same technique to check best water softener also.
If you see that the mixture has mixed with soap very well, then the liquid is not hard. Otherwise, if the solution is not foamy with mainly the soap particles floating on the surface, the liquid is indeed hard. You can adopt the same technique to check best water softener also.
Using scientific ways, you can test the hardness of the mixture using testing kits that are available specifically for this matter. The plumbing people says that the hardness of the solution can cause a massive damage financially.
Initially, you may not see much difference caused by the hard water but it this issue is not addressed at the right time, it can cost a lot of money to the users.
This hard solution can cause damage to the drainage system which will ultimately damage your appliances like the washing machines, which are using the same solution. So it is of extreme importance to decide which water softener you will buy.
How Do Water Softeners Work?
We all are now well aware of what is a hard mixture, how it is identified, and now the main concept comes into the picture.
Water softeners are used to soften the solution but how it is done, will see that in this section. Hard water can be identified by the texture of solution when it comes in contact with the soap material.
Now, in this, the main section is the mineral tank. There is an arrangement of polystyrene beads which carry the negative charge.
The hard water which enters the water softener system containing calcium and magnesium content, are passed through this mineral tank. The hard solution content has a positive charge.
Therefore, these content sticks firmly on the beads. Later, brine solution having positive charge not as strong as the calcium and magnesium are passed through these beads.
The hard solution contents are removed away from the beads.Thus, the sodium replaces the calcium and magnesium content in hard fluids. This is how the best water softener works.
Do I Need A Water Softener?
First of all, you need to find out whether the solution that is used at your home is hard or not. We have already mentioned the different tests that can be done to check whether the solution is hard or not. Test the solution first.
Later if you find the fluid is hard, it solely depends on you, of buying a water softener or not. After we find that the mixture is hard, the next test should be regarding the level of hardness present in the mixture. It will help you in choosing the right and best water softener system for your suitable need.
We have seen already how the hard fluid can affect and damage our household materials. A lot of money will be wasted in regular repairs of the Household Equipment and, if you buy a water softener will save some money.
Water Softeners VS. Water Filtration Systems
Both the filtration and the water softener mechanisms possess different processes. Hard solution softening involves more treatment than just normal filtration process. Best Water Softeners are used for removing minerals and other comparatively large elements than found in the filtration system.
Best Water Softeners requires a bit more complex mechanisms for its working. They remove most of the hard minerals found in solution. The System also neutralize this solution before actually releasing it. They soften the fluid and should be used when there are chances of damage caused by hard mixture, on the household utensils.
Filtration involves a less complicated process in which the contaminated solution is purified. This process removes water contents like iron, microorganisms and another kind of foul or chlorine smell if present.
Types of Water Softeners
Now people are more aware of the hard solution concept and what all problems it can cause. Different types of water softeners are now available which serves for appropriate condition. But mainly it is classified into 2 categories:
- Salt Based Water Softener – This is the same as the one we discussed in the working of a water softener. The brine solution is used, which remove out the calcium and magnesium minerals stuck to the beads of polystyrene. Mostly all the people prefer this type of best water softener, but there is some controversy regarding the health problems that can occur by this.The salt traces found in the mixture can damage the people who are already having issues with their kidney. That is why people of some parts of America has stopped the use of salt-based water softener system. The replacement of the softening material is also not cheap. Regenerating materials with potassium and hydrogen is available in the markets now.
- Salt-Free Water Softener – In this different technologies are used for softening. Salt is not used here, and the filtering of hard material is done by different machinery handled by separate owners. Some of the types included here are Magnetic, Electronic, and Chelation. Magnetic one uses real magnets to form a magnetic field for filtration. Electronic, sends electronic signals to the hard solution particle if any present. And in Chelation, you will find chelate agents which will bind with the hard solution contents for filtration.
The Choice Between Portable and Standard Water Softeners
This answer is very simple. If you want the best water softener system for your home, which is stationary, then you should go for the standard water softeners. And for a person who is always moving around from one place to another, the portable one will be the best choice. Though portable in nature, it is easy to handle, they don’t come with all the features present on the standard ones.
The portable doesn’t have the auto-regeneration feature in it. They need comparatively less power than the standard ones. That means, at the end of the day, the amount of the fluid filtered will be significantly less compared with the standard ones. So depending on one’s living style, the best water softener system is to be chosen.
What Kind of Water Softener Do I Need?
This mainly lies on the user’s need. We have tried to list out the necessary things that should be kept in mind before choosing the right water softener for you. Some of the information that you need to figure out are as follows:
- The hardness of the water : This is actually measured in GPG (Grains per Gallon) When the GPG scores between 4-12, the water is considered to be hard. The score of 4 is relatively soft. If the score goes high up to 19, that means the water is very hard in nature. You can test it using a kit or call a professional/plumber to check and tell you.
- Understand the per day or weekly usage of H2O at home : The average solution that is used by a person per day is 70-110 gallons of water. Just multiply this number with the total of persons living in the house.
- Find a number of grains to be removed in one week : Multiply the number of water usage in water softener system with the number of grains in the same solution.
- Find the right water softener capacity that is suitable for you : This will help in ensuring that the number of grains doesn’t exceed the best water softener system’s capacity.
These points should be kept in mind, which will help in reducing the regeneration process too.
Top Water Softener Brands List
We have researched and listed the top 5 best water softener brands in the market now. They are :
- Fleck – This one is the oldest brand which has been on the market for almost 52 years now. They have been implementing the latest technology for removal of hard minerals. This is the most recommended one with the best reviews and ratings.
- Waterboss – This one is also been in the market for a long time. This machine particularly focuses on the reduction of fluid wastage. Therefore, this machine uses less solution for softening purpose.
- Morton – One of the oldest salt producing company, which has got a good quality water softeners. Some of their best water softener systems have received good reviews too.
- Aquasana – This has been in talk lately. This water softener system focuses on the environment factor. They use reusable materials and produces minimum waste.
- Culligan – This brand has been in the market for some 77 years now. Reputed best water softener system producer in the market. They have got a good variety in softening products.
The Price and Size Of Water Softeners
The cost of a water softener system may vary accordingly. The pricing of such systems depends mainly on size, the functionalities they are providing and also the name of the brand of course.
Considering some issues occurring in this matter, we have classified the right size of the best water softener system so that you could easily make a choice among them, for your appropriate need. They are:
- The level of hardness in the solution in your living area (for this consider 4 – 19 GPG)
- The average amount of fluid that is used at home (on an average of 70-110 gallons)
- The capacity of the water softener system you are going to use (in between 20000 to 150000)
Now one more thing to add, if you are going to purchase a small water softener system than is required, you will go to pay more for the power it consumes during the regeneration process. So consider buying a larger one, even though investment will be a bit more but in the long run it will save you a lot of bucks!
Common Water Softener Problems & Solutions
We discussed the working of this system and the components and different elements were used in the functionality of it. Some machinery issues have arisen lately regarding the water softeners. Most of the companies help the users by providing special assistance for handling the issues of their machine.
However, some of the simple problems arising in the water softener machine could be easily solved by the users itself without wasting much of the money for it. We will check out some of the general issues that may arise while using your best water softener system.
If suddenly your water softener system has stopped its work, then you can check on the issue by yourself by carrying out the following parameters one by one:
- The bypass valve. Do check this valve in the water softening system, the water enters through this valve in the working unit. Make sure that the valve is open.
- Next, if your machine is running on electricity, make sure that the power has been turned on, and there is the right amount of power supply that is needed for the water softener.
- Do check that there is sufficient amount of sodium chloride in the brine tank.
- Perform a regeneration cycle manually. On most of the sections of the machine, you will find a lever system in the control area, which helps in performing manual regeneration process.Some other major issues which can be handled by the user itself without any technical help include blockages, the breaking of resin beads, salt bridges, user error, and motor failure.
Some other major issues which can be handled by the user itself without any technical help include blockages, the breaking of resin beads, salt bridges, user error, and motor failure.
By the continuous passage of the hard mixture containing a high amount of salt and minerals, there are high chances of them getting accumulated on the surface of the pipeline which blocks the passage of the mixture after some time. This can occur on the lining part of the brine tank or the filtering area of the water softener.
This issue can be easily noticed when you find that there is considerably less amount of water entering the water softener system is being softened after the processing. If you find such issue, you should first check the inside surface of the pipeline for any blockage.
This issue can be easily handled. First of all, close all the water supply that is being passed into this water softener by either turning off the incoming flow of solution or the bypass valve present. Tap on the pipe to break the solid accumulations inside the pipe surface. Using a scoop like a thing, you can remove the depositions present in it.
Breaking of Resin Beads
This issue arises only in salt based water softener system. Good quality and proper usage will keep the beads in a good condition for a long time. However if any problem arises in the beads, it can be known easily. You may find part of the beads inside the softened mixture. Also, if you are doing a frequent recharge of your water softener, check the condition of the beads once and then proceed.
The only solution to this is to clean them properly or completely change them with new beads.
There are high chances of salt depositions on the inside surface of the pipe. This may result in hard form deposition at the lower part of the machine too. One of the reasons may be that the wrong choice of salt is being used, the kind of temperature in which the water softener is working and also the temperature of the water that is being used in the water softener system.
The salt bridge causes some kind of gap between the salt and the solution which hinders the process of the regeneration in the machine. So if you find that the water is not being softened in this water softener machine, there are high chances of formation of a salt bridge.
The solution to this problem may require some kind of assistance, still you can also do it on your own too. You can use some broom-like stick to remove the buildups and remove the crust formed inside the lining of the pipeline. Otherwise, take a professional help if needed.
To get started with the water softener machine, you need to do some manual settings on it. Since this work is done manually, any step can go wrong due to the user error. Most of the water softener systems are easy to handle. While some of them many be a little complex for a newbie to understand. To avoid such error, follow the instruction book carefully and perform the task. If anything goes wrong, refer the book for help.
Like all the other working devices, motors play the vital role in the processing of any machine. If the water softener system doesn’t start correctly, then there are high chances that the motor has been damaged because of some reason. In such cases, taking a technical support from the manufacturers is a preferable solution and ask for a motor replacement if required.
Tips for Water Softener Maintenance to Keeping It Healthy
This system doesn’t require much maintenance. Still we recommend you to do timely servicing of the water softener machine as and when required. Below are discussed some of the queries that may also arise in your mind regarding the maintenance.
What is the right time to add salt in the water softener machine?
The addition is salt is very important for your machine as it is needed for proper regeneration process to take place. If you are still not sure about the amount of salt that is to be added, some of the factors that may help include:
- The size of the brine tank.
- The hardness property of the fluid in your area.
- The number of the people residing at your place.
- The amount of the fluid that is used in average.
So checking out all these points, you may get an idea about the amount of salt to be added.
What is the amount of salt that is to be added in the brine tank?
Now on an average, the amount of salt should be a quarter full with the water present in it. The salt level should be such that it is not more 6 inches from the top of the tank opening.The salt content should be such that it is some part above the water level in the tank. Before you actually add salt, make sure that there are no salt depositions formed at the bottom surface of the tank. If it is there, remove it by adding hot water for hard depositions.
What amount of salt is actually required by the water softener system?
For different water softener system, the amount of salt differs. It mainly depends on the amount of the H2O that is used. On an average, residential places use almost 11 pounds of salt in one week.
How much water should be there inside the brine tank?
There is already some amount of solution inside the brine tank. Generally, it is not more than 11.5 inches in height.
Some more additional tips –
- Use small salt pellet kind of thing along with the iron remover. The normal salt can be less expensive but in some time, it can cause great damage to your water softener machine. It can also lead to the blockage of the valve and the injector.
- Add salt only when most of the salts have been used up in the tank. During refilling, fill not more than two third of the tank.
- For cleaning the resin bead, you can use the iron-out which is also good for the parts of the control valve. You can use it once in a year for keeping the water softener system clean.
- Make it a habit of cleaning the brine tank once in a year.
We have done a thorough study on the water softener solutions present and written it in this Compressive Guide. People less prefer the salt based water softener systems because of the maintenance issue present in it. Nowadays such systems come with much smarter technology that learns many things on their own after you use them for a while. That also means that you need to spend less time in refilling the tank with salt. Now, even if the system used is electronic one or the standard one, the user has benefited always.
We have done a deep study for Best Water Softener Reviews 2017 Our Top Picks so that it simplifies your task in making the optimal choice in water softeners. Fleck is the best-rated one according to our researches and reviews collected. So what are you waiting for? Choose the right one and have a good softening time! You can find other awesome reviews of different Water Appliances at Water Gadget.
Best Water Softener 2017 - Summary
Wondering about the Best Water Softener that can solve the issue of hard water for your house? WaterGadget Team of experts with more than 10 years of experience in home improvement & plumbing tested most of the models.
--> Based on their experience with the hard water of USA, UK, & Canada, They made above recommendations for Best Water Softeners for you.
---> Do read our unbiased water softener reviews with latest updated pieces of information of 2017. You can choose based on your budget & requirements. We ensured that you don't face any issues in near future.