Many of the water softener systems make use of ion exchange method. In this process, the hard minerals are replaced by sodium or potassium. The simple working of the softener has got the water running into a tank, where ions are exchanged. The ions which cause the hardness are replaced with the calcium or potassium.
Now we can’t explain the importance of water in one line. Still, you can understand the need of pure water, with fewer minerals. Hard water is not harmful to drinking purpose, but it can cause damage to your clothes, kitchen utensils, etc.
How Does a Water Softener Work?
Checking the system components, you will get two tanks in this. One is the mineral tank, and the other one is the brine tank. Most of the users believe that salt does the softening job, but the actual role of this is placed by the resin beads present in the resin tank.
There are resin beads with the resin tank, which helps in removing the hardness. This water is treated in the resin tank initially and then taken into the brine tank. The resin beads are covered with the salt, and this helps in removing hard water minerals from the solution.
We will divide the processing steps into four stages. These are as follows:
- Hard water enters the softener, through the inlet pipe. And it is present in the softener unit.
- The resin beads found in the water softener attracts the hard minerals.
- Then the water without any hard water mineral moves out of the system, through the outlet pipe.
The hardness of the water can be dealt by in different ways. And one of them is the Water Softener. The most efficient method of handling hard water is the softener system. Softening can help in cutting many costs, which are spent in the Water Softener maintenance of the system.
And here you will notice one thing; the resin bead will now be covered with the hard minerals. So they need to be recharged back so that salt is covered over the resin beads as it was in the beginning. This adding of salt to recharge the bead is called regeneration process.
Some of the modern systems come with an automatic regeneration mechanism. And most of the users have got the electronic unit, which does the flushing work. And finally, the resin beads are charged back.
For this purpose, a salt-water solution is created first. This solution is like brine, and it rinses the beads which have got the hard minerals collected on it. Now the brine solution and the hard minerals are flushed out of the tank. Thus, leaves the beads all set charged, with all the sodium ions on it.
So this is how the complete water softener systems work including our top Fleck 5600SXT system. Here we discussed the processing in an easy way, so in the next section, we will provide you with all the in-detail process of the water softener. And also check on the ion exchange method.
What Does a Water Softener Do?
The primary task that is performed by the water softener is the trading of the ions. Hard water that is to be treated is passed through the resin tank, which has got these resin beads in it. Now the hard water contains calcium and magnesium ions in it.
The beads have got a negative charge on it, and the both the ions in the hard water are positively charged. Now these hard water minerals will be attracted towards the beads, and they will cling to the beads. Sodium is not as strong ion as the calcium and magnesium. This way hard water minerals are removed from the water.
To recharge the beads back, a brine solution is used. This brine solution is simply salt water solution, and it is added on to these resin beads. Now, this number of sodium ions is enough to drive off the calcium and magnesium ions from the rod.
The water softener system has got a separate container for storing of the brine solution. We always suggest you the Fleck Water Softener Brand for the same reason. So the essential work that is performed by the softener is to remove the hard minerals with the sodium ions. After the beads are recharged back, the hard ions are drained, and the brine solution is refilled.
People get confused with the softening and the conditioner thing. Both of them differ in purpose, and two separate things. There is no similarity between them. [source]
How to Choose a Water Softener?
The points that need to be considered for buying a water softener for yourself are as follows:
- First, check on the household size and the water usage per day. An average person uses 75 gallons of water per day, so if the utilization of the water is more than this number it is better to consider a larger water softener system for your home.
- The method of regeneration is the next point. Some have got timer regeneration like the system will regenerate every four days. While some system regenerates according to the amount of water used by the user.
- Check for the additional contaminant removal feature. For example, some softener devices eliminate elements like chlorine, iron or any sediment.
- Consider adding a water filtration system along with the water softening machine. This provides a complete solution for your house.
- Any additional feature like light indicators, touch screens, high flow valves, etc. are present in the system.
- Installation method. If the unit is hard to install, then you will acquire one expert to get the system installed. Otherwise, some of the systems can be installed by oneself, you just have to follow the instructions. [source]
- Check for the warranty of the product.
So, these are the things that need to be seriously tested while you are on the move to buy a water softener for yourself.
Do I Need a Water Softener?
You will require the water softener only when the hard at your place is hard. To soften the water, you need to know from where to buy fleck water softener or any other brand softener.
The other benefits of buying this are:
- No stains/white patches visible on the plumbing parts, utensils, etc. which we use for our daily needs.
- Helps in getting the household cleaned more easily.
- This helps in creating foam quickly, using less amount of soap.
- The color and the appearance of the clothes are maintained after the wash.
- Maintains the skin softness.
- The lifespan of the appliances is extended by use of softened water.
So these are some of the many benefits which can be enjoyed if you have got the water softener system running at your home. And if you wish to enjoy these benefits, then buy one for yourselves.
Other popular reads: Types of Water Softener Salt
The purpose of writing this article on How Does a Water Softener Work? was to make you understand the working and more importantly the need and value of having a softener system. If you have got any query related to the working, then ask them out in the comment section below. Visit us on WaterGadget.com, to read more such post updates.